Get a College Scholarship… For eSports
The competitive landscape of eSports hasn’t only spread to colleges and universities – it’s now an activity that can land you a scholarship! Robert Morris University’s Executive Director of eSports Kurt Melcher explains why his school was the first to offer a scholarship to League of Legends players, and why other schools are following suit.
Having worked in both traditional athletics and in eSports, Kurt brings a unique point of view on why eSports athletes aren’t so different from what a person might think of as a “regular” athlete. Plus: what separates a professional eSports player from other competitive gamers.
Robert Morris University’s Executive Director of eSports Kurt Melcher discussed:
- The difference between competitive video game playing and professional eSports.
- The basics of top competitive games like League of Legends, Dota 2, and Counterstrike, plus why these games have risen to the top of the eSports world.
- Who is able to coach eSports teams and what kind of background they have to have in order to be effective.
- The qualities that separate elite eSports players and teams from amateur competitive gamers.
- How eSports have evolved over the last couple of decades and what the competitive landscape looks like now, including how money can indicate the health of any sports ecosystem.
- Demographics and gender breakdown of current players, and what the eSports industry is doing to encourage more diversity.
- What colleges and universities look for when awarding scholarships to eSports athletes.
- The rapid growth of eSports and what he expects will come next.