In this podcast, mentalist and professional communicator Jonathan Pritchard discusses:
- How people respond differently to mind reading tricks versus other magic tricks, like card tricks.
- The differences between mentalism and psychology, and why mind reading tricks are able to stump scientists.
- The concept of “strategic empathy” and how you can employ it to effectively communicate ideas.
- How intent, context, and deception interplay with one another.
- His experience working with James Randi and the Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge.
- What distinguishes a mentalist from a charlatan.
- How a person can train to be a mentalist and how they can apply the skills of a mentalist in everyday life.
- Assumptions and shortcuts the brain utilizes in order to be more efficient, and the potential problems it can cause.
- Why he dislikes networking events and how you can make the best first impression when meeting someone in a sincere way (especially if you’re a freelancer or you’re about to attend a networking event).
- The thinking behind “be interested, not interesting” when interacting with people.
- A surprising link between magic tricks and World War II.
You’ll find it hard to believe that Jonathan grew up “painfully shy,” as he puts it, by the time he’s finished explaining how he ended up where he is today. Click here to follow along with a written transcript of this episode (and share clips with your friends).